Starting Point: 1979-1996 – A Treasure Trove of Hayao Miyazaki’s Essays and Interviews
If you are a fan of Hayao Miyazaki, the legendary animator and director of Studio Ghibli, you might be interested in reading his book “Starting Point: 1979-1996”. This book is a collection of essays, interviews, and memoirs that cover the first two decades of his career, from his early days as a salaried animator to his breakthrough films like Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and My Neighbor Totoro.
In this article, we will give you an overview of what you can expect from this book, why it is worth reading, and how you can download and read it for free.
What is “Starting Point: 1979-1996” about?
“Starting Point: 1979-1996” is a compilation of Miyazaki’s writings and interviews that reveal his thoughts and opinions on various topics related to animation, manga, film, culture, history, and more. The book is divided into four parts:
- Part One: Starting Point (1979-1986) – This part covers Miyazaki’s early works such as The Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, and Laputa: Castle in the Sky. It also includes his essays on animation theory, environmental issues, and Japanese history.
- Part Two: Turning Point (1987-1996) – This part covers Miyazaki’s transition from animator to director, and his films such as My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, and Princess Mononoke. It also includes his interviews with other filmmakers such as Isao Takahata, Akira Kurosawa, and John Lasseter.
- Part Three: People – This part covers Miyazaki’s personal life and relationships with his family, friends, colleagues, and fans. It also includes his memoirs of his childhood, his travels, and his hobbies.
- Part Four: Bonus Track – This part covers some miscellaneous topics such as Miyazaki’s involvement in the World Masterpiece Theater series, his comments on other works such as Spirited Away and Howl’s Moving Castle, and his sketches and concept art.
“Starting Point: 1979-1996” is a fascinating and insightful book that shows the evolution of Miyazaki’s vision and craft over the years. It also reveals his personality, values, and passions that inform his work. The book is full of anecdotes, humor, wisdom, and inspiration that will delight any fan of Miyazaki or animation in general.
Why should you read “Starting Point: 1979-1996”?
There are many reasons why you should read “Starting Point: 1979-1996”, but here are some of the main ones:
- You will learn more about Miyazaki’s creative process and how he approaches animation as an art form.
- You will gain a deeper understanding of Miyazaki’s films and their themes, messages, and influences.
- You will discover Miyazaki’s views on various subjects such as politics, society, nature, culture, history, and more.
- You will appreciate Miyazaki’s passion for storytelling and his respect for his audience.
- You will be inspired by Miyazaki’s dedication to his craft and his pursuit of excellence.
“Starting Point: 1979-1996” is a must-read for anyone who loves Miyazaki’s work or wants to learn more about him. It is also a valuable resource for anyone who is interested in animation or film making in general.
How can you download and read “Starting Point: 1979-1996” for free?
If you want to download and read “Starting Point: 1979-1996” for free, you can follow these simple steps:
- Go to this website, which offers free PDF and EPUB versions of the book.
- Click on the button that says “Download Starting Point: 1979-1996 by Hayao Miyazaki PDF EPUB without registration”.
- Choose your preferred format (PDF or EPUB) and save the file to your device.
- Open the file with your preferred reader app (such as Adobe Acrobat Reader or Calibre) and enjoy!
Note that this website is not affiliated with Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli in any way. It is a third-party service that provides free ebooks for personal use only. Please respect the author’s rights and do not distribute or sell the book without permission.
What are the benefits of reading “Starting Point: 1979-1996”?
Reading “Starting Point: 1979-1996” can offer you many benefits, such as:
- Improving your knowledge and skills in animation, manga, film, and storytelling.
- Expanding your perspective and imagination by exploring different cultures, histories, and worldviews.
- Enhancing your creativity and critical thinking by learning from Miyazaki’s insights and experiences.
- Developing your appreciation and admiration for Miyazaki’s work and legacy.
- Enjoying a captivating and entertaining read that will keep you engaged and inspired.
“Starting Point: 1979-1996” is a book that can enrich your mind and soul with its wealth of information, wisdom, and beauty. It is a book that can make you a better animator, storyteller, and human being.
How can you get the most out of reading “Starting Point: 1979-1996”?
To get the most out of reading “Starting Point: 1979-1996”, you can follow these tips:
- Read the book with an open mind and curiosity. Don’t be afraid to challenge yourself with new ideas and perspectives.
- Read the book with a critical eye and a questioning attitude. Don’t take everything at face value, but try to understand the context and reasoning behind Miyazaki’s opinions and arguments.
- Read the book with a creative spirit and a playful mood. Don’t be bored by the technical details, but try to appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship behind Miyazaki’s works.
- Read the book with a reflective heart and a grateful attitude. Don’t be indifferent to the lessons learned, but try to apply them to your own work and life.
- Read the book with a social voice and a sharing attitude. Don’t keep the book to yourself, but try to discuss it with others who are interested in Miyazaki or animation.
“Starting Point: 1979-1996” is a book that can offer you a lot of value and enjoyment if you read it with the right mindset and approach. It is a book that can spark your curiosity, stimulate your intellect, ignite your creativity, touch your emotions, and inspire your actions.
What are some of the best quotes from “Starting Point: 1979-1996”?
“Starting Point: 1979-1996” is a book that contains many memorable and meaningful quotes from Miyazaki and his interviews. Here are some of the best ones:
“To be born means being compelled to choose an era, a place, a life. To exist here, now, means to lost the possibility of being countless other potential selves.. Yet once being born there is no turning back. And I think that’s exactly why the fantasy worlds of cartoon movies so strongly represent our hopes and yearnings. They illustrate a world of lost possibilities for us.”
This quote expresses Miyazaki’s view on the power and appeal of animation as a medium that can create and explore alternative worlds and realities. It also reflects his own sense of nostalgia and longing for a different life.
“Personally, I was never more passionate about manga than when preparing for my college entrance exams. It’s a period of life when young people appear to have a great deal of freedom, but are in many ways actually opressed. Just when they find themselves powerfully attracted to members of opposite sex, they have to really crack the books. To escape from this depressing situation, they often find themselves wishing they could live in a world of their own – a world they can say is truly theirs, a world unknown even to their parents. To young people, anime is something they incorporate into this private world.”
This quote reveals Miyazaki’s personal experience and motivation for becoming an animator and manga artist. He also explains why anime is so popular and meaningful for young people who are facing pressure and challenges in their lives.
” […] it would be false to say that because we’re on the side of justice, we can go ahead and destroy our opponents and the world will be at peace. […] Now, I know that there are such things as good and evil in the world, and that people do good things. But people who do good things are not necessarily good people, they just happen to be people who have done good things. The next instant they might wind up doing something bad, and if we don’t take that into account in our view of humans, we’ll constantly make mistakes when making political decisions or decisions about ourselves.”
This quote shows Miyazaki’s complex and nuanced understanding of human nature and morality. He challenges the simplistic dichotomy of good and evil, and urges us to be more aware and critical of our own actions and judgments.
How can you summarize “Starting Point: 1979-1996” in a few sentences?
“Starting Point: 1979-1996” is a book that collects the writings and interviews of Hayao Miyazaki, one of the most influential and acclaimed animators and directors in the world. The book covers the first two decades of his career, from his beginnings as a salaried animator to his breakthrough films such as Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Princess Mononoke. The book reveals Miyazaki’s thoughts and opinions on various topics related to animation, manga, film, culture, history, and more. It also shows his personal life and experiences that shaped his vision and craft. The book is a valuable source of information, wisdom, and inspiration for anyone who loves Miyazaki’s work or wants to learn more about him and his art.
“Starting Point: 1979-1996” is a book that offers a rare and intimate glimpse into the mind and heart of Hayao Miyazaki, one of the greatest animators and storytellers of our time. The book is a treasure trove of essays, interviews, and memoirs that span the first two decades of his career, from his humble beginnings as a salaried animator to his groundbreaking films that have captivated millions of fans around the world. The book is not only a chronicle of Miyazaki’s life and work, but also a tribute to the power and beauty of the moving image. It is a book that can enrich your knowledge and skills in animation, manga, film, and storytelling. It can also expand your perspective and imagination by exploring different cultures, histories, and worldviews. It can also enhance your creativity and critical thinking by learning from Miyazaki’s insights and experiences. It can also develop your appreciation and admiration for Miyazaki’s work and legacy. And most importantly, it can also enjoy a captivating and entertaining read that will keep you engaged and inspired. “Starting Point: 1979-1996” is a book that every fan of Miyazaki or animation should read. It is a book that can make you a better animator, storyteller, and human being.